[tex-live] tlmgr update --self

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 14:27:52 CEST 2011

On 06/06/2011 13:25, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Joseph Wright wrote:
>>
>> You can do
>>
>>    tlmgr update --self --all --reinstall-forcibly-removed
>>
>> so it's not exactly too hard.
>>

> With respect, very little is "too hard" if you know what you are doing.
> But how many users of TeX Live does that encompass ?  15% ???
> I would strongly support Arno's position -- TLMGR should be
> intelligent enough to work out for itself what is necessary, not
> rely on a mere user knowing what is going on.

My point was that for people who use the command line interface, and are
therefore not scared by

    tlmgr update --self
    tlmgr update --all

then the combined version is not a big leap. For most users, I suspect
that using the command line interface *at all* is too big a leap
compared with the graphical interface.
--
Joseph Wright