[tex-live] local/personal fonts

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Jul 21 04:13:41 CEST 2011

On Mi, 20 Jul 2011, Bob Tennent wrote:
> TEXMFLOCAL (typically under /usr/local) is for system-wide additions or
> changes to the distribution defaults.
>
> TEXMFCONFIG (typically ~/texmf) is for personal additions or changes
> to the system-wide defaults. For example, commercial fonts licensed
> to a single user on a shared system. Fontconfig has a similar policy:

Ok, so your suggestion is that if a user calls tlmgr generate then
tlmgr searches for updmap-local.cfg files in both TEXMFLOCAL and TEXMFCONFIG
(what about TEXMFSYSCONFIG?) and merges all of them.

That sounds reasonable and doable, but I have to think if conflicts can
arise and how to handle that.

> arise because one must currently choose *either* local *or* personal,
> but not both. But both are useful.

You can copy the local to the personal and then add to it the
personal fonts.

Best wishes

Norbert