[tex-live] Location of Lua files

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sat Jul 9 18:27:58 CEST 2011

Le 09/07/2011 16:44, Philipp Stephani a écrit :
> the lualatex-math package consists of a LaTeX package file
> (lualatex-math.sty) and a Lua module (lualatex-math.lua). The latter is
> placed in texmf-dist/scripts/lualatex-math. When there is a newer version in
> the TEXMFHOME tree, the Lua file is not found,

Really? I cannot reproduce that:

% kpsewhich lualatex-math.lua
/home/mpg/texmf/scripts/lualatex-math/lualatex-math.lua

> as reported [1] by Peter
> Breitfeld.

Oh, well, it seems that the OP installed the new version of the file in
TEXMFHOME while the old version is in TEXMFDIST/scripts. The point is, lua files
in TEXMF_FOO/scripts have precedence over files in TEXMF_BAR/tex, regardless of
the values of FOO and BAR. So, if the old version is in TEXMFDIST/scripts, the
new one should be in TEXMFHOME/scripts in order to have precedence.

> I think the Lua file should not be in the /scripts/ directory
> because it is not an executable script, but I'm unsure about the exact
> conventions for Lua modules.

I don't think there is a universally accepted convention about that. Some
package authors place the files in scripts, some in tex, when they provide a
tds.zip archive: in this case, we don't mess with their choice. Otherwise, I'm
not sure if we have a clear policy. (Well, currently "we" means Karl since he is
the only one updating packages.)

Manuel.