[tex-live] Updating tlmgr on Windows 7

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:08:30 CET 2011

PLEASE STAY ON THE LIST

On 27 January 2011 14:28, Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:
> 2011/1/27 T T <t34www at googlemail.com>:
>> Not sure what you mean by blinking. On the taskbar? And where do you
>> press OK?  Any error message?
>
> I press OK in the dialogue. Then the frame of the application window slowly
> blinks; finally it crashes.
>
>>> But before it crashes it tells me I should call "tlmgr update --self".
>>
>> What does it say exactly and where (error dialog, command window)?
>
> Log output, lower half of the main window.
> See attached screen shot.

OK, that just a standard message displayed when infrastructure updates
are available.

>> Can you start the gui from the command line with:
>>
>>  tlmgr -v gui > "%temp%\tlmgr-debug.log"
>>
>> Do the update and send us the tlmgr-debug.log from the temp directory
>> (type %temp% in the address bar of windows explorer to navigate to
>> that dir).
>
> Attached.

Thanks, but I'm no smarter after seeing this:

Executing action update
Fertig.

Nortbert, it doesn't look like anything happens during update at all.
Any ideas?

I can only suggest at this point to try this on the command line (one line):

  tlmgr -v --logfile "%temp%\tlmgr-self.log" update --self --dry-run

This will make a simulated update without gui and will write the
output to "%temp%\tlmgr-self.log".  Hopefully this log file will point
us in the right direction.  At least we should know whether the
problem happens in the gui or in the update routine.

Cheers,

Tomek