[tex-live] Cannot contact mirror.ctan.org

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 24 00:25:47 CET 2011

Am 23.01.2011 um 23:26 schrieb Karl Berry:

>    --> LANG=C tlmgr update --all
>    on a single line, or
>
>    --> LANG=C
>    --> tlmgr update --all
>
> Just for the record, these do different things.  The former defines LANG
> as an environment variable that is propagated to subprocesses (like
> wget, in this case).  The latter defines LANG as a shell variable that
> is not propagated.  (Run export LANG to propagate it.)

LANG is declared as exported (declare -x), so it is always exported even if you don't use export:

~ $ declare -p TEST
-bash: declare: TEST: not found
~ $ TEST=abc
~ $ printenv TEST
~ $ TEST=abc printenv TEST
abc
~ $ declare -x TEST
~ $ printenv TEST
abc
~ $ TEST=def
~ $ printenv TEST
def

> However, none of this should matter.  tlmgr already sets LC_ALL=C before
> running wget when it needs to, which should override any user settings.
> In the case where you're seeing French output (TLDownload::get_file), it
> is looking at numeric codes, not strings.  As far as I can see.
>
> What the actual problem is, I do not know :(.

For the record, I have exactly the same problem. This must be related to the network configuration. We have a complex network at university, and I don't know where to start debugging, but if you want to guide me a bit, we could investigate what the problem is.