[tex-live] Palatino / figbas

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jan 11 00:35:50 CET 2011

    P.S. I don't think you can, legally, use the name Palatino because it is
    trademarked,

Just for the record:

I am highly skeptical that you cannot use the word "Palatino" in a
computer file as an identifier.  You certainly couldn't legally use the
word in advertising or literature describing a font due to the
trademark, but that is a different matter than internals.

Now, it is certainly true that Linotype or whoever will threaten legal
action at the drop of a hat, as GUST found to its disGUST, and it is
equally certainly easier to give in to them and rename things instead of
fighting.  However, their threats are not evidence in themselves of an
actual legal basis.

I know that Germany has stricter rules about fonts than other countries.
So it's vaguely possible that something would be actionable in Germany
and not other countries; obviously I am not a German trademark lawyer.
I am near-certain that there is no basis for such a legal action in the US.

Anyway ... let's not pursue this here, please, this isn't a TeX Live issue.