[tex-live] Palatino / figbas

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Mon Jan 10 18:26:09 CET 2011

 >|I originally reported this as a bug to OpenSuse, who have replied saying
 >|that I
 >|need to take it "upstream", which I think means you guys.
 >|
 >|When I viewed web pages with Palatino fonts (in any web browser) I
 >|was seeing
 >|strange versions of the digits 2, 4, 5, 6 and 9.  I eventually traced
 >|this to
 >|the file /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/figbas/plrj.pfb - deleting
 >|that
 >|file and rebuilding the font cache fixed the issue.

I'm the developer of the figbas fonts. The information in the .pfb file
says that the Fontname is FiguredBassPalatino and the Family Name is
Palatino. It seems that SUSE is using this font for rendering digits.
I'm not familiar with how SUSE selects fonts but I think this is their
issue. As far as I know, the font information is correct; if not I'll
change it but I'll need authoritative guidance.

Bob Tennent