[tex-live] scheme modern

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 22:13:07 CET 2011

2011/1/6 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> On 6 January 2011 Philipp Stephani wrote:
>
>  > > 1.2G    /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/doc
>  >
>  > Useful, has to stay. Lots of documentation is good, but I wonder
>  > whether in the future we should write HTML manuals instead of PDF,
>  > which would be more user-friendly (no fixed layout, better
>  > hypertext capabilities, JavaScript) and require less space.
>
> This will not happen.  Documentation is about software which produces
> PDF in the first place, so we need documentation in PDF.  But if you
> want to prove me wrong, convert the microtype manual to HTML.
> I'm looking forward...  :)

1. PDF can also include JavaScript.

2. PDF files have very good hypertext capabilities, even sound and
videos can be included, if you know how to do it.

3. PDF files can be (and usually are) compressed, web browsers are not
yet capable to display compressed HTML.

I have looked at zwpagelayout. The size of the PDF manual is 516 KB.
If it were written in HTML, its size would be comparable to the size
of the tex source files plus images which is approximately 400 KB. The
manual contains vector images in PDF. If I had to convert the manual
to HTML, I would convert these images to PNG so that the HTML manual
would probably be even larger than PDF and the quality would be worse.

> Regards,
>  Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz