[tex-live] scheme modern

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Thu Jan 6 12:06:36 CET 2011

T T wrote:
> On 6 January 2011 09:55, Arno Trautmann <Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de> wrote:
>> I was wondering if it might be considered for the next TeXlive (2011 I
>> hope) to provide an installation scheme "modern". This could be a scheme
>> providing everything needed to work with, say, XeLaTeX, luaLaTeX,
>> ConTeXt Mk IV etc. but drops a (quite large) number of old, deprecated
>> packages (e.g. inputenc/fontenc for LaTeX). That would allow to use the
>> most recent developments without installing the full schem and blocking
>> disk space by packages that will never be used again.
>> (I'm /not/ suggesting to drop those packages at all from TeXlive!)
>>
>> I sure don't expect an implementation in the next days but rather some
>> comments on this.
>
> I quite like the idea.  I'm not sure if I would drop inputenc/fontenc.

And there begin the problems …
Either one removes radically all packages that are not needed with
Xe/lua, or it will indeed result in an only slightly smaller full
installation.
Regarding Zdeneks comment: Even if not much disk space will be saved,
there could be saved a larger /number/ of packages.

> I would see such a scheme as an amalgam of recommended and most used
> packages.  Technically making such a scheme is a piece of cake for us,
> the difficult part is to come up with a list of packages/collections
> from texlive.tlpdb that should go into it.  Anyone cares to make such
> a list (hint: start with one of the existing schemes and add/remove
> from it)?

I'd love to do it, but won't have the time to for the next months. But
I'd like to review and comment on it :)

cheers
Arno