[tex-live] libertine wrongly packaged

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Dec 31 12:27:30 CET 2011

Am Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:41:36 -0800 schrieb Karl Berry:

>    it is the question if such fonts should actually be in a texmf tree.

> I strongly disagree with your implication.  When a document uses system
> font lookups, it is unportable by definition.  I don't think that is a
> good scenario to encourage.

? You mean TeX systems should only encourage the creation of
documents which uses only (free) fonts which are distribuated by a
TeX-System?

Sorry but already with pdflatex quite a lot documents use
commercial/non-free fonts e.g. corporate fonts. And the majority of
xetex/luatex/context documents use system fonts. You only need to
look at the documentation of fontspec or at all examples sent to the
mailing lists/usenet groups and forums.

Beside this: As far as I know with TeXLive xetex doesn't find otf
fonts in the texmf-trees with the default configuration. It can only
use otf fonts of the system. So you must use system font lookups ...

--
Ulrike Fischer