[tex-live] libertine wrongly packaged

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 29 11:10:39 CET 2011

Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:

> Am Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:31:48 -0500 schrieb Bob Tennent:
>
> >  >|Could you prepare a zip/tar.gz file in texmf layout containing:
> >  >|- the pfb fonts
> >  >|- the necessary support files
> >  >|- the "fixed" .sty file etc?
> >  >|
> >  >|I think then w can upload it once to CTAN and include it in TL.
> >  >|After that probably not many changes are necessary. Those who
> >  >|want newer things have to go for the new version in xetex/luatex.
> >
> > Done and uploaded to cam.ctan.org as a libertine-legacy package. There
> > are libertine.sty files in both the new libertine package at CTAN and
> > the libertine-legacy package I've just uploaded. I'm unwilling to
> > re-name the latter because it's a file that users will definitely have
> > referenced in their sources. The former is just a stub that announces
> > that libertine.sty is no longer supported; in my opinion it should be
> > deleted. And it would seem from the other such stubs that the former
> > libertine maintainer has played this game of cutting off his users
> > before; not consistent with TeX traditions.
>
> libertine-legacy installs/contains also the old fx***.otf-file and
> these conflict with the newer ones: On miktex the xe(la)tex step
> finds the newer ones,
>
>  Requested font "Linux Libertine O" at 10.0pt
>   -> J:/MiKTeX2.9/fonts/opentype/public/libertine/LinLibertine_R.otf
>
> while the xdvipdfmx step uses the older ones:
>
> fontmap: LinLibertineO/H/65536/0/0 ->
> J:/MiKTeX2.9/fonts/opentype/public/libertine-legacy/fxlr.otf(Identity-H)
>
> This breaks e.g. the ligature in the following example:
>
> \XeTeXtracingfonts=1
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
> \begin{document}
> abc fi
> \end{document}
>
> A similar problem for TeXLive has been reported on the xetex mailing
> list.
>
> (It is actually also a problem that libertine installs the newer
> fonts in fonts/opentypes as this conflict with the fonts installed
> in my system folder "windows/fonts". But I really don't know how to
> solve this problem - is it possible to tell fontconfig *not* to
> search a specific directory?)

i discussed this possibility with bob.

what he did was simply to tidy the documentation of the old version, and
install it.

regenerating the package, to omit all the otf stuff, is more than he has
time for, at present (it's a big package).

i have no doubt that any offer to do the complete job would be
accepted...

robin
(who's lacking in font expertise and who has too much to do anyway)