[tex-live] libertine wrongly packaged

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Dec 29 10:45:20 CET 2011

Am Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:31:48 -0500 schrieb Bob Tennent:

>  >|Could you prepare a zip/tar.gz file in texmf layout containing:
>  >|- the pfb fonts
>  >|- the necessary support files
>  >|- the "fixed" .sty file etc?
>  >|
>  >|I think then w can upload it once to CTAN and include it in TL.
>  >|After that probably not many changes are necessary. Those who
>  >|want newer things have to go for the new version in xetex/luatex.
>
> Done and uploaded to cam.ctan.org as a libertine-legacy package. There
> are libertine.sty files in both the new libertine package at CTAN and
> the libertine-legacy package I've just uploaded. I'm unwilling to
> re-name the latter because it's a file that users will definitely have
> referenced in their sources. The former is just a stub that announces
> that libertine.sty is no longer supported; in my opinion it should be
> deleted. And it would seem from the other such stubs that the former
> libertine maintainer has played this game of cutting off his users
> before; not consistent with TeX traditions.

libertine-legacy installs/contains also the old fx***.otf-file and
these conflict with the newer ones: On miktex the xe(la)tex step
finds the newer ones,

 Requested font "Linux Libertine O" at 10.0pt
  -> J:/MiKTeX2.9/fonts/opentype/public/libertine/LinLibertine_R.otf

while the xdvipdfmx step uses the older ones:

fontmap: LinLibertineO/H/65536/0/0 ->
J:/MiKTeX2.9/fonts/opentype/public/libertine-legacy/fxlr.otf(Identity-H)

This breaks e.g. the ligature in the following example:

\XeTeXtracingfonts=1
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
\begin{document}
abc fi
\end{document}

A similar problem for TeXLive has been reported on the xetex mailing
list.

(It is actually also a problem that libertine installs the newer
fonts in fonts/opentypes as this conflict with the fonts installed
in my system folder "windows/fonts". But I really don't know how to
solve this problem - is it possible to tell fontconfig *not* to
search a specific directory?)

--
Ulrike Fischer