[tex-live] texdoc question

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 01:22:00 CET 2011

2011/12/28 Joel C. Salomon <joelcsalomon at gmail.com>:
> On 12/27/2011 06:56 PM, Philipp Stephani wrote:
>>>
>>> try texdoc -v latex (or sth else)
>>>
>>> It will give you some Information about the string, which is handed
>>> to the shell. I have no Ubuntu running in the moment but my Mac says
>>> "texdoc info: View comand: open "path/to/manual""
>>
>> On Gnome, texdoc is supposed to call gnome-open, which uses Gnome's
>> file associations. So "texdoc -v" should print something like
>> "gnome-open /path/to/file.pdf". Maybe the association between PDF
>> files and your viewer is broken.
>
> It calls xdg-open (which presumably calls gnome-open behind the scenes
> on my Gnome machine, and some other program on a KDE box, etc.).  File
> associations *seemed* to work; double-clicking a PDF file in Nautilu
> opened it up in Acrobat Reader.  It was xdg-open that wasn't working right.

In my computer gnome is badly broken. Right click offers Acrobat9
which does not work (my Linux is too old and AR9 requires newer
libraries) but does not offer Acrobat7 which works. texdoc.cnf allows
me to open texdoc using AR7 and I can open PDF files in AR7 from a
command line. Firefox also knows that PDF files should be open in AR7,
thus I do not care that double clicking does not work. Anyway, I am
going to upgrade my Linux soon.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/