[tex-live] TeX Live 2011 License Audit - Mislabeled Components [02/02]

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 21:54:56 CET 2011

(This is the second email in a series of two, the first covers non-free
items, the second covers mislabeled components.)

I've been spending a lot of time lately working with Red Hat Legal and
Jindrich Novy to try to finish a reasonable audit on the components
included in TeX Live 2011, with the goal of identifying what needs to be
resolved for Fedora to be able to include it as a packageset.

In reviewing TL2011, we ran right into the existing TL policy of
categorizing things as "Freely redistributable without restriction",
"Other", "No Source", or "No Info". I suppose this is better than no
information whatsoever, but in reality, it is incorrect and
inappropriate to label things in such a manner. Either the license is
known or it is not.

As part of this audit, we sent all new licenses to Red Hat Legal for
review. All the items which were determined to be Free, but previously
unknown were given a short name identifier and marked as to whether they
are GPL compatible or not in the Fedora License list (for software,
documentation, and fonts):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Software_License_List
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Documentation_Licenses
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Font_Licenses

The following list of corrections are for TL2011 components using the
ambiguous licensing categories, along with the correct license using the
Fedora short names. I would strongly encourage TL to adopt this naming
schema, or, if you dislike the naming choices that Fedora has made, to
adopt some sort of specific naming schema that does not permit ambiguous
license labeling.

Please note that I did not include the 19 items which were ambiguously
marked, but turned out to be non-free, in this list. They are described
in detail in a separate email.

Also, Fedora uses the terminology "Copyright only" to describe licenses
which are extremely permissive and Free (but not MIT or BSD), usually
only with the requirement to retain the declaration of copyright and/or
license. In retrospect, this short name is somewhat confusing, but at
this point, it is accepted for what it is, and the effort to change it
across Fedora would be somewhat painful.

**** Spot's big list of TL2011 License corrections *****

> L: abstyles - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Abstyles"

> L: adobemapping - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: ANUfinalexam - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPL+"

> L: apalike2 - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Knuth"

> L: apa6e - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: arphic - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Arphic"

> L: ar - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: asana-math - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: ascii-chart - No Info
Should be "LPPL"

> L: bbm - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only".

> L: bbold-type1 - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: bera - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Bitstream Vera"

> L: berenisadf - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPLv2+ and LPPL"

> L: bchart - No Info
Should be "MIT"

> L: blacklettert1 - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL".

> L: borceux - No Info
Should be "Borceux"

> L: braille - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: breakcites - No Info
Should be "Copyright only".

> L: calligra - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: calligra-type1 - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: charter - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Charter"

> L: cherokee - No Info
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: chicago - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Knuth"

> L: cite - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: clock - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPL+"

> L: cm-unicode - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL".

> L: codepage - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: context-filter - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: context-mathsets - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: context-rst - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: context - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPL+ or LPPL"

> L: context-vim - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: courseoutline - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: coursepaper - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: crossword - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Crossword"

> L: csplain - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPLv2+"

> L: dancers - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: de-macro - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "AFL"

> L: detex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "NCSA"

> L: din1505 - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Bibtex"

> L: dk-bib - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPLv2+"

> L: dosepsbin - Artistic
Should be "GPLv2 or Artistic"

> L: dotseqn - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Dotseqn"

> L: doublestroke - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Doublestroke"

> L: dvidvi - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: ecv - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: eiad - No Info
Should be "Public Domain"

> L: electrum - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPLv2+ with exceptions and LPPL"

> L: elvish - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Elvish"

> L: epstopdf - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: eqname - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: esstix - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: etex-pkg - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: eurosym - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Eurosym"

> L: facture - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "CC-BY-SA"

> L: fancynum - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: fbithesis - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: figflow - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: finbib - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Bibtex"

> L: fltpoint - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: fonetika - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPL+ and LPPL"

> L: font-change - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "CC-BY-SA"

> L: formlett - No Info
Should be "GPL+"

> L: framed - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: fundus - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: fwlw - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: gene-logic - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Crossword"

> L: gentium - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: germbib - No Info
Should be "Bibtex"

> L: getoptk - No Source
Should be "CeCILL-B"

> L: gfsartemisia - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: gfsbaskerville - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: gfsbodoni - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: gfscomplutum - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: gfsdidot - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: gfsneohellenic - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: gfsporson - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: gfssolomos - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: harvmac - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "CC-BY"

> L: hc - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPLv2+"

> L: hyphen-basque - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Bahyph"

> L: hyphenex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Public Domain"

> L: hyphen-greek - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: hyphen-turkish - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: hyph-utf8 - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: ifsym - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: inconsolata - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: index - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: ipaex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "IPA"

> L: itrans - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: jadetex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "MIT"

> L: jamtimes - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: japanese-otf - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: jlabels - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Bibtex", but since I hate to see that terrible license in
modern code, I emailed upstream and convinced them to permit use under
"LPPL". Should be "Bibtex or LPPL"

> L: kixfont - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: latex2e-help-texinfo - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Latex2e"

> L: lhcyr - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Lhcyr"

> L: localloc - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Bibtex"

> L: lshort-german - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GFDL"

> L: lshort-spanish - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPLv2+"

> L: lshort-ukr - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPLv2+"

> L: lua-alt-getopt - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "MIT"

> L: magaz - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: makeindex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "MakeIndex"

> L: mdputu - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: menu - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: metapost-examples - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPL+"

> L: mhequ - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Public Domain"

> L: mil3 - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: minutes - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: mkgrkindex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: mkjobtexmf - Artistic
Should be "GPLv2 or Artistic"

> L: mpman-ru - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "MIT"

> L: mp3d - No Info
Should be "LPPL"

> L: mslapa - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Public Domain"

> L: mxedruli - No Info
Should be "LPPL"

> L: nature - No Info
Should be "LPPL"

> L: newsletr - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Newsletr"

> L: ocr-b-outline - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: ocr-b - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: oldstandard - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: oubraces - No Info
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: passivetex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "MIT"

> L: path - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Bibtex"

> L: pax - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPLv2+"

> L: pb-diagram - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPLv2+"

> L: persian-modern - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: philokalia - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: plain-doc - No Info
Should be "Public Domain"

> L: plweb - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: pnas2009 - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Bibtex"

> L: prodint - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: productbox - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: psfrag - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "psfrag"

> L: pst-bspline - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: ps2pkm - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "MIT"

> L: ptex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: punknova - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Punknova"

> L: rccol - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "LPPL"

> L: rsfs - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "rsfs"

> L: r_und_s - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: shapepar - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Dotseqn"

> L: showhyphens - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "MIT"

> L: slideshow - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: sphack - Other
Should be "Bibtex"

> L: stix - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL"

> L: subsupscripts - No Info
Should be "LPPL"

> L: tabls - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Dotseqn"

> L: tds - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Latex2e"

> L: tetex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GPL+ and GPLv2+ and LPPL"

> L: texdiff - Artistic
Should be "GPL+ or Artistic"

> L: texdirflatten - Artistic
Should be "GPL+ or Artistic"

> L: texloganalyser - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "BSD"

> L: tex-refs - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "GFDL"

> L: threeparttable - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Threeparttable"

> L: tie - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Latex2e"

> L: tikz-dependency - No Source
Should be "(GPLv2 or LPPL) and (GFDL or LPPL)"

> L: tucv - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "CC-BY-SA"

> L: tugboat-plain - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Bibtex"

> L: ulem - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: umtypewriter - OFSFLD
Should be "OFL".

> L: utopia - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Utopia"

> L: venturisadf - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Utopia"

> L: version - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Copyright only"

> L: vntex - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Utopia"

> L: wadalab - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Wadalab"

> L: webguide - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Utopia"

> L: wsuipa - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Utopia"

> L: xdvi - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "MIT"

> L: zed-csp - Freely redistributable without restriction
Should be "Zed"

*****

Thanks in advance,

~tom