[tex-live] (Xe)TeX Live after update: Upright font found, but not italic - Huh?

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Mon Dec 5 11:38:53 CET 2011

> > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `EU1/Libertine(0)/m/sl' undefined
> > (Font)              using `EU1/Libertine(0)/m/n' instead on input
> > line
> > 41.
>
> > Could anyone give me a hint what might be broken?
>
> Such substituation messages don't mean something is broken.

Looking at the output, there definitely _is_ something thoroughly
broken. Not only the font shape is wrong (upright instead of italic),
but also vertical and horizontal alignment.

> Also it doesn't say that italic (it) is not found but slshape (sl).
> Do you actually use \slshape in your document?

No, I don't use it. Only italic:

\renewcommand*{\marginfont}{\rmfamily\itshape}

But the marginnote text is not output in italic. See the PDF.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

--
HOMO HOMINI HOSTIS                                IN FELIBUS FELICITAS