[tex-live] updmap-sys problem

Hugo Hinterberger hugo.hinterberger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 12:03:49 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:11 AM, T T <t34www at googlemail.com> wrote:

> There is something messed up with your installation.

That is what I thought.

> You probably mean texmf.cnf---the (kpathsea) configuration
> file for the tex distribution---run 'kpsewhich -all texmf.cnf' for a
> list (the one at the installation root is where you should put your
> modifications).

Those were the files I was looking for, thanks.
I never changed those files, and I did a clean install from a local
rsync copy of rsync.dante.ctan.org/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/ .

<console_snippet>
==> C:\Users\hinterberger.h>kpsewhich -all texmf.cnf
c:/texlive/2011/texmf.cnf
c:/texlive/2011/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
</console_snippet>

The file "c:/texlive/2011/texmf.cnf" contains only one relevant line:

<file_snippet file="c:/texlive/2011/texmf.cnf">
OSFONTDIR = $SystemRoot/fonts//
</file_snippet>

<console_snippet>
==> C:\Users\hinterberger.h>echo %systemroot%
C:\Windows
</console_snippet>

Unfortunately I don't know how to check if the line in
"c:/texlive/2011/texmf.cnf" gives the right result.
I assume Windows doesn't to the variable substitution (because of the
$-sign), so what does and how do I check it?

> You should instead try to remove the offending packages with tlmgr (if
> possible, which I doubt, since the files are in the wrong place) and
> install them again (which should be no problem).

I did that, but tlmgr installed the files in the wrong location,
that's why I asked for the location of the tlmgr configuration files
-- which was a wrong(?) assumption (see above).
Does tlmgr take the installation-location information from the file
"c:/texlive/2011/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf"?

Regards,
Hugo