[tex-live] synctex problem with XeTeX

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Aug 21 20:47:28 CEST 2011

On Aug 21, 2011, at 1:27 PM, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Akira,
>
>>> However, without the "-no-pdf" option, XeLaTeX ONLY sets
>>> the Offsets to 0 without any changes to the contents,
>>> which could be wrong: it gives wrong position information.
>
>    Fixed in xetex.exe for w32.
>    I hope it works correctly after the next update.
>    I don't know that is a w32 bug or a generic one.
>
> I tried running xelatex --synctex=1 syncoff.tex with the standard
> i386-linux binaries, where syncoff.tex is the trivial file kanLoo
> supplied.  The resulting syncoff.synctex.gz has
> X Offset:0
> Y Offset:0
>
> Running with -no-pdf, the offsets are 4736287.  The only other
> difference is that the first line after Content: in the -no-pdf case is
> !707, and !695 in the normal case, which sounds like a a4 vs. letter
> difference.
>
> So what change did you make to the w32tex sources?  Presumably we need
> it in the Unix sources too.
>
> Thanks,
> karl

Howdy,

I think I'm seeing this with xetex on the Mac. Although I'm not looking directly at the synctex file when I do a pdf->source sync the selection is definitely offset from where it should be. The same document using pdflatex gets the offset correct. Is that the symptom a user would notice?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)