[tex-live] Using tlmgr/TeXLive utility to install local versions of a package

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Aug 8 17:25:04 CEST 2011

On Aug 7, 2011, at 6:40 AM, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> PLEASE STAY ON LIST!!!

Sorry about that; on the MacTeX list, replies go to the list. I didn't notice that the TL list is set up differently.

> On Fr, 05 Aug 2011, Alan Munn wrote:
>> For complex packages like pgf and beamer, for example, or some of the things that now depend on latex3, it's sometimes useful to keep the old version in the main tree and test out the newer version separately.  Installation for small packages is obviously quite easy, but for larger ones with dependencies it would be nice to use tlmgr for the task.
>
> You can alway make a manual backup before updating with tlmgr, and then
> revert to the previous version.
>
> I see that it might have usage patterns, but the problem is that it opens
> a can of worms, because then sometimes the package in TEXMFHOME will be
> much older than the one in main, but we cannot report on that.

At least for the purpose I have in mind, this isn't a problem (unless I'm misunderstanding something). And there's always a danger that a local texmf folder might have a older version anyway.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com