[tex-live] Rubber and Tex Live Native

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 15:36:09 CEST 2011

2011/8/7 George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>> Hi Raphael,

> You can check the versions in the .log file, which may also reveal
> other issues with
> TeX's search paths, etc.
>
>> Does it use TL2011 or the TL that comes with your Ubuntu?
>>
>>> To compare I run pdflatex and so but using the full path to the executable, and evrithing works fine.
>>
>> That means that rubber somehow picks the wrong TeX?
>>
>> I thing that putting the PATH adjustment in the .bashrc IS*NOT*ENOUGH*!!!!
>
> Did you log out after adjusting %HOME/.bashrc?  If you are starting
> gedit from a system menu,
> the relevant .bashrc is the one that is loaded when you log on.

No, if you start a program from a system menu or an icon from a panel,
.bashrc is not used at all, only .bash_profile is used. Moreover,
.bash_profile is executed only once when you log on. In my computers,
.bash_profiles executes .bashrc and .bashrc prepends the directories
to the PATH only if it is not already present (if I start xterm by
clicking an icon on the panel, if first takes information from
.bash_profile {and thus .bashrc in my computers} and then executes
.bashrc). Thus if I modify PATH in .bashrc, the new PATH setting will
be visible in a new xterm (no need to log off and on) but not in
programs started from the panel or system menu. For that it is
necessary to log off and on (or use a wrapper that will execute
.bashrc).

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/