[tex-live] Where do I put lua scripts for a package?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Apr 25 02:29:56 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-24 at 22:23:49 +0200, Christophe Jorssen wrote:

 > 2011/4/24 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:

 > > PS.:  I just ran "cvs update" but I don't see any .lua scripts.  Are
 > >      you working on the arithmetic code ATM?  That would be great.
 >
 > Strange. They should be here

Might be a problem at my site.  I now ran cvs update again several
times, and each time it claims to update the same files.  I doubt that
anything is updated at all.  The directory

 > pgf/generic/pgf/libraries/graphdrawing/lua

doesn't exist.  However, everything is fine after a fresh checkout.
Seems that I'm doing something wrong.  Maybe I'm too much accustomed
to svn end expect that cvs works the same way.

 > Unfortunately, I'm not working on the code...
 > But you're right: lua + pgf sounds great!

It *is* great!  I recently prepared a tiny demo file, just to show how
easily problems can be solved with LuaTeX:

  http://tug.org/~kotucha/luatab.pdf

With LuaTeX one can do much more, but I deliberately kept this file
tiny, simple, and the source code comprehensible.  Even with the
highly sophisticated math macros provided by pgf, I wouldn't even
consider to program something like that in TeX.

In real life I already use lua + pgfplots quite frequently.  I can't
provide an example because I don't want to expose my bank account
here.  However, pgfplots is incredibly slow because all calculations
are done in TeX, thus I'm interesting in a pgf math library written in
Lua.

As an aside: I just ran

  pdftotext -layout luatab.pdf

Wow! I'm deeply impressed!  Seems that we need PDF viewers only if we
are interested in microtypography.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25