[tex-live] Where do I put lua scripts for a package?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Apr 24 21:36:42 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-24 at 18:27:02 +0200, Christophe Jorssen wrote:

 > Hello all,
 >
 > In the cvs version of pgf, a new library uses some lua scripts
 > designed to work with luatex. I'd like to know in which directory lua
 > scripts should be put (for a later update of the pgf-cvs bundle to
 > tlcontrib).
 >
 > For now they are located in
 >
 > /texmf/generic/pgf/libraries/name_of_the_library/lua/
 >
 > AFAIU the TDS documentation, this should rather be
 >
 > /texmf/scripts/pgf/libraries/name_of_the_library/
 >
 > Can somebody confirm?

This is an excerpt of texmf.cnf in TL-2010:
% Lua needs to look in TEXINPUTS for lua scripts distributed with packages.
LUAINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/scripts/{$progname,$engine,}/{lua,}//;$TEXINPUTS

You can also look where the ConTeXt Lua scripts are.  I think that

  $TEXMF/scripts/pgf/

is a good choice.

 > However, if I understand correctly, luatex is able to find any lua
 > script as far as it is found by kpathse(arch), so the former
 > location should work too. What is best practice here?

According to the setting of LUAINPUTS, only files in $TEXMF/scripts
are found.  I wouldn't try to put it anywhere else.  I don't know the
internals of kpathsea, but I suppose that a file of a particular type
is found most rapidly if it is in a sub-tree which only contains files
of this type.

Regards,
  Reinhard

PS.:  I just ran "cvs update" but I don't see any .lua scripts.  Are
      you working on the arithmetic code ATM?  That would be great.

Marschnerstr. 25