[tex-live] lualatex dumps core after TL update

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 22 16:44:42 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 03:46:34PM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> I just updated TeX Live and now lualatex crashes when the pgf package
> is loaded and \begin{document} is being processed.
>
> Here is a minimal example:
>
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage{tikz}
> \tracingall
> \begin{document}
> \end{document}
>
> $ lualatex test.tex
> [...stuff omitted...]
> \pdf at shellescape ->\directlua {oberdiek.pdftexcmds.shellescape()}
> {\directlua}
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

shellescape() calls os.execute() without arguments. That case is
broken in LuaTeX and fixed in 0.70.
The workaround in pdftexcmds 2011/04/16 v0.15 tries to
disable \pdf at shellescape for LuaTeX < 0.70, but a silly
mistake prevented it to work for versions 0.07--0.69.
Fixed now in 2011/04/22 v0.16.

Update is on its way to CTAN, it should be available
there tomorrow.

Workarounds I have given already at different places:

* \directlua{os.execute = nil}
* -shell-escape (full shell escape seems to work)
* \newcommand*{\DoNotLoadEpstopdf}{} if epstopdf is not
  needed and \pdf at shellescape is not used elsewhere.

> Heiko, I suppose that the problem is related to the oberdiek package,
> it was one of the packages which were updated.

The bug is actually in LuaTeX < 0.70.
It's only triggered by pdftexcmds to get a replacement
for pdfTeX's \pdfshellescape.

> but everything works fine with the latest version from Taco's svn:
>
>    luatex beta-0.67.0-2011042214

Then the fix seems to be backported. Some early versions of 0.67.0
might be buggy, therefore I have lowered the version for
\pdf at shellescape to 0.68.0.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek