[tex-live] [TLContrib] context and metapost duplicating files from other packages

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Apr 4 09:06:24 CEST 2011

On 04/03/2011 03:08 PM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The context and metapost packages from TLcontrib ship files that are part of
> other TL packages. When these packages are updated in TL, the files will be
> overwritten. Some level of chaos may ensue.
>
> Here is a list of the files by TLcontrib package, with the name of the regular
> TL package they belong to.
>
> Context:
> jmn: texmf-dist/fonts/afm/jmn/hans/hans.afm

Oh, I had forgotten about that. I knew about the 'jmn' package, but it
is just a derivate from the context package in texlive, so after the
commit of context that package is created automatically.

I should correct the package in tlcontrib, though.

> Metapost:
> avantgar: texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/groff/avantgar/pagd8g.tfm

This is a bit more problematic. IIRC, all of those 8g files came from
the same source as part of the metapost distribution. They are needed
for the Heirloom groff support in metapost (and only there, actually).

It would be OK to remove them from the metapost package, but only if
metapost is made dependent on all of: avantgar, bookman, courier, groff,
helvetic, ncntrsbk, palatino, times & zapfchan (CC TeXlive).

Best wishes,
Taco