[tex-live] fontspec 2.1 and some font packages clash

Leo Liu leoliu.pku at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 13:48:36 CEST 2010

Hi all,

         When I updated fontspec to v2.1, I find it includes xunicode by
default. This makes an error "Command `\Finv' already defined." when using
amssymb (or some other font package) AFTER fontspec. I know it will be fine
if fontspec is loaded later. However, it makes classes for general purpose
using fontspec (for me, all ctex*.cls in ctex pkg.) clash, since it's
impossible to decide when and whether math packages are loaded. A simplified
example:

% foo.cls by Alice

\ProvidesClass{foo}

\RequirePackage{fontspec}

\endinput

% bar.tex by Bob

\documentclass{foo}

\usepackage{amssymb} % oops!

\begin{document}

Test only.

\end{document}

Is there any suggestions for this problem? I guess it would be OK if
fontspec provides an extra option that suppress xunicode for a future load.

Many thanks.

Leo