[tex-live] Cannot contact mirror.ctan.org

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 21 10:16:36 CEST 2010

Le mardi 21/09/10 à 14h36,
Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> a écrit :

> Does this persist?

Yes.

> It is a normal http lookup, is outgoing port 80 blocked on your
> system?

Well, I didn't explicitly open it and it used to be okay by the past,
for instance with TL 2009! I do not have any trouble to browse the
internet. BTW, my boxes are Mandriva 2010.1 Linux.

1. Either if I don't explicitly open it or if I explicitly open it, I
get (on another box):

# tlmgr update --self --all
cannot contact mirror.ctan.org, returning a backbone server!
tlmgr: package repository
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet
Cannot load TeX Live database from
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet
at /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/i386-linux/tlmgr line 4277.

2. If I manually specify a mirror:

# tlmgr
--repository=ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/mirrors/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet
update --self --all

the previous problem disappear.

3. If I don't manually specify a mirror but completely disable my
firewall, the problem in item 1 disappear but I don't like to do so,
even for few minutes when I update the TL.

Best wishes.
--
Denis