[tex-live] kpathsea and poppler or okular

Ingo Krabbe ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 05:43:59 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:49:06PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     Is there some maintained source package for texlive 2010 or how can I
>     get a libkpathsea to compile these programs?
>
> As Zdenek said, the development source for kpathsea, web2c, tex, et al.,
> is now the texlive svn repository.
>
> I just wanted to add that kpathsea has never officially been released as
> a standalone/installable shared library.  I know all the distros do it,
> and the sources are set up to build it, we carefully maintain the
> version number, etc., but ... no guarantees.  You might be better off
> getting the sources not from upstream TL but from gentoo, so as to be
> sure they match and include any gentoo-specific changes (that we have no
> knowledge of).
>
> Another approach would be to reinstall the gentoo packages and preserve
> their libkpathsea before removing them again.
>
> Another approach would be not to remove the system packages at all --
> the system TeX and the TL TeX are completely independent (barring
> personal environment variables), and which one you get is determined
> simply by your path.

That's what I finally did. For anyone who might want to do the same or
similar:

	equery f app-text/texlive-core \
		| sed -ne 's/\/usr\/bin\/.\+/rm -f &/p' > cmd.sh
	source cmd.sh

should do the job (no warranties! check cmd.sh before executing it).
The command above helps removing all '/usr/bin/.\+' (regex) files that
has been installed by the package, to not interfere with texlive files
in the path.  I think the rest of the package won't interfere with the
system in any other way.

The problem isn't "poppler" or "okular", as I mentioned in the subject, but
"evince", that links its dvi rendering part against "libkpathsea.so".

regards

ingo