[tex-live] pclnfss?

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Oct 10 09:55:02 CEST 2010

Karl Berry wrote:
>      And<TeX-Root>\texmf-dist\tex\context\fonts\lucida-math.lfg ?
>
> I think the most important thing is to remove whole packages whose only
> intent is to support proprietary work, rather than trying to eradicate
> every possible proprietary reference.
>
> Although in an ideal world that file would not be included in TL, this
> is not an ideal world, and I don't think the amount of work required to
> permanently remove it (considerable) is worth the benefit.  None of us
> have infinite time available.

Don't misunderstand me, I wasn't advocating its removal; I was simply
trying to determine (by experiment, if necessary) exactly what the
TL policy is in this respect.  Initially you wrote :

>>     TeX Live doesn't provide font packages any more which don't contain
>>     the "real" fonts but only support files.

> Specifically, when the "real" fonts are nonfree.

and that, together with your more recent statement above, seems
a reasonably clear statement of policy in this respect.

So if, in the future, someone were to produce (say) a Lucida
OpenType maths font based on proprietary sources, am I correct
in thinking from the above that TeX Live policy would be that
a package specifically aimed at supporting such a font could
not be included in TeX Live ?

** Phil.