[tex-live] Fortran and Pascal sources

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Oct 6 20:15:57 CEST 2010

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > On 6 October 2010 Norbert Preining wrote:
 >
 >   >  I would suggest to let fortran rest in peace for the next 300
 >   >  years.
 >
 > Means:  Fortran is the programming language of the future, but
 > mankind is not yet ready for it.

Yes, I completely agree.  Automatic array bounds checking
and integer overflow detection are clearly the work of
the Devil; just imagine if today's software had been
compiled using such techniques -- how on earth could
the virus-writing economy still be sustainable, and
worse still, how could we continue to get our beloved
"bus error" and "core dumped" messages ?

** Phil.