[tex-live] Fortran and Pascal sources

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Oct 6 06:17:24 CEST 2010

On Di, 05 Okt 2010, George N. White III wrote:
> And you end up with lower quality C implementations of fragments that
> are available in LAPACK, etc.

pretty off topic, but simple solution: call fortran libs functions
directly from C. This is dead simple, I did it in my first year
when doing numerical data analysis, because programming user interface
in Fortran 77 is impossible (clear screen is making 5000 wholes in a
punch card?). You simply have to pass pointer and read the rest from
the stack, as far as I remember.

> then Fortan can't be ignored.   Supporting Fortran for one project today
> may eventually pay dividends when (lua)TeX programmers find uses for
> routines available in the enormous body of Fortran code.

I would suggest to let fortran rest in peace for the next 300 years. I
programmed a lot in f77 and f90, and besides being a PITA it was nothing.

Best wishes

Norbert
Arthur yawed wildly as his skin tried to jump one way and
his skeleton the other, whilst his brain tried to work out
which of his ears it most wanted to crawl out of.
`Bet you weren't expecting to see me again,' said the
monster, which Arthur couldn't help thinking was a strange
remark for it to make, seeing as he had never met the
creature before. He could tell that he hadn't met the
creature before from the simple fact that he was able to
sleep at nights.
                 --- Arthur discovering who had diverted him from going to a
                 --- party.