[tex-live] The adforn package.

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Tue Oct 5 21:30:08 CEST 2010

On Tue 5th Oct, 2010 at 14:22, Herbert Schulz seems to have written:

> On Oct 5, 2010, at 2:00 PM, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>
>> cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:
>>
>>> My instinct is therefore to rename the fd file to uornementsadf.fd.
>>> However, I don't really understand what is going on here so this isn't
>>> necessarily the best thing to do. It is complicated by the fact that in
>>> the adfsymbols case, things which worked for me didn't work for a user
>>> on a different system, so I can't just assume that if I fix it for OS
>>> X, it will work generally.
>>
>> latex sets up the name and then lowercases it.  *then* it loads the .fd
>> using the name it's created (after lowercase).
>>
>> so i would have expected your mixed-case name to fail on *nix systems,
>> but not on macos (which i assumed to be no more than a case-preserving
>> system).  i was wrong about macos.  amusing post by claire (sp?)
>> yesterday about the weirdness of macos, but it's not relevant to this
>> case.
>>
>> the rule is that .fd file names have to be *all in lower case*.  you can
>> call the font whatever you like, within the doc, just so long as the
>> file itself is all lower case.
>>
>> and no, i don't know anywhere that the rule is documented.
>>
>> robin
>
> Howdy,
>
> I think the point is that on Mac OS X the (incorrect) mixed case of the name is carried into the ls-R file and then kpsewhich can't find.

But why does it work if the fd file is in my home texmf directory?
(That is, under ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex.) I realise there is no ls-R
involved in this case but that doesn't explain (to me, anyway), why tex
uses the file without complaint in that case. Does tex use a different
search algorithm in that case which manipulates the case of the
filename differently? (And, if so, why?!)

Thanks,
cfr