[tex-live] Fortran and Pascal sources

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Tue Oct 5 02:48:10 CEST 2010

 >|There is no question in my mind that compiling with C is the way to go.
 >|Whether up-to-date systems provide usable Fortran and Pascal compilers
 >|isn't really the point, because we intentionally compile TL on old
 >|versions, so that the resulting binaries can work for the most possible
 >|users.
 >|
 >|So, from our pov, it would be best for the .c translations to be
 >|included in the distributions, so we don't have to fiddle with *2c.

No problem with that.

 >|Furthermore, I don't have an answer for libf2c; it will not be available
 >|natively and it would be asking a lot to make it available on every
 >|build platform.  So it seems Fortran compilation is infeasible.  How
 >|about "simply" rewriting the Fortran program in C :)?

Not feasible. The developer only knows Fortran and is constantly
improving the program. So I guess inclusion of a tarball is the best we
could hope for.

 >|On a separate front, to have any hope of being included in the TL build
 >|at all, the programs must be built with a configure && make approach
 >|that accepts the standard options, almost certainly with GNU Automake.
 >|See the first paragraph of tug.org/texlive/pkcontrib.html#exec.

Already done.

 >|Thanks for all your work on musixtex.  Looking forward to the updated
 >|release making its way to us.

I'm looking forward to seeing it at CTAN :+) Robin has been too busy to
check it out.

Thanks for your help.

Bob T.