[tex-live] Fortran and Pascal sources

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 5 00:49:53 CEST 2010

On 4 October 2010 Bob Tennent wrote:

 >  >| > Hi. I'm preparing CTAN distributions of two packages, hoping to get
 >  >| > them into texlive. The packages have Fortran and Pascal source files.
 >  >|
 >  >|Hi Bob,
 >  >|can you tell a little bit more about these programs?
 >
 > Reinhard: PMX and M-Tx are preprocessors for musixtex, which is a
 > TeX-based music typesetting system. They provide users a simpler input
 > language than musixtex itself. I've submitted a revised musixtex package
 > to CTAN which should meet the texlive criteria. I'm now working on the
 > preprocessors (which are needed by most users of musixtex).
 >
 > Details here:
 >
 > http://icking-music-archive.org/software/indexmt6.html

Thanks.  The reason I asked is that if programs are tiny, it's
probably better to re-write them in a scripting language.  However,
PMX and M-Tx look too complex in order to port them to another
language without much effort.

Regarding the TL build system, I fear that adding support for FORTRAN
and/or Pascal makes it more complex than it already is.  It also
imposes additional dependencies to those who are providing binaries
for the various platforms.

Converting the programs to C sounds more promising, at least if the
resulting C code is absolutely platform independent.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25