[tex-live] MacTeX: luatex fmtutil failed

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 26 18:19:22 CET 2010

Robert,

As others have conjectured, the presence of /opt/local/bin/fmtutil says that you have
a MacPorts TeX distribution installed. The MacPorts people add /opt/local/bin
to the BEGINNING of your path, so this location is always found when you use
Terminal.

The solution is to add /usr/texbin to the BEGINNING of your path in your
shell configuration script, after it has been modified by MacPorts. The
TeX Distribution panel should then recognize both the MacPorts version and
the TeX Live version and allow you to switch between them.

We have had some communication with the MacPorts people and will improve
the situation slightly in the future. But they tell me that it will still be necessary
to manually add /usr/texbin to the beginning of your PATH.

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu