[tex-live] Feature requests tlmgr

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 18 16:31:59 CET 2010

On 2010-11-16 15:46, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2010, at 04:59 , Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> update --list *IS* shows *ALL* updates, also those of texlive.infra
>> (more specifically those of the critical packages).
>>
>> And if you want to automatize it I recommend reading the section
>> on MACHINE READABLE in the tlmgr manager, then you can easily parse
>> that and write a nice cron script, which you hopefully will send
>> back to the lsit here!
>
> I wrote a Python script to do this for the latest version of
> TeX Live Utility.  The tlmgr part is platform-agnostic, so at
> least shows how the parsing might be accomplished.  Watch out
> for status; I only count additions or updates.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mactlmgr/source/browse/trunk/agent/update_check.py

Thanks for refactoring your script so my code can be included. For those
on a recent version of Ubuntu and some knowledge of Python, please test
attached script (at your own risk) before Adam can do an intake. Send
any improvement to me.

The script will prompt via zenity any new changes for TeX Live and can
continue directly to upgrading your installation.

Thanks also to some people on this list who already have tested it and
have provided useful feedback.

Best regards,

Pander