[tex-live] Feature requests tlmgr

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 16 20:24:50 CET 2010

On 2010-11-16 20:20, George N. White III wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Pander <pander at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to propose the following feature requests for TeX Live.
>>
>> 1) Can the installer ask if a cron job will be installed that will check
>> twice a day if updates are available and will pop up tlmgr GUI? This is the
>> same idea as Ubuntu's update manager.
>>
>> 2) Can the installer offer an option to enable e-mail notification when
>> updates are available for server installation? This is the same idea as
>> http://www.digipedia.pl/man/doc/view/apticron.1/
>>
>> 3) Also provide documentation to enable, disable and configure this after an
>> installation has been done.
>>
>> Apticron is scheduled for 13:00 and 19:00 hours. Perhaps 13:10 and 19:10
>> would be conveniend times.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve?

I would like to have automated notification when updates are available
for my desktop (pop-up) and for my server (e-mail). So I don't have to
chekc manually if updates are there for all the different systems.

Adam Maxwell has a good script for Mac. I will contribute my code for
Debian/Ubuntu.

The download and upgrade processes itself work perfectly.

 Here, updates run quickly, and it is good