[tex-live] Update all installed failed

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Nov 16 14:14:40 CET 2010

On Di, 16 Nov 2010, T T wrote:
> Yes, I'm back :) but only virtually and with little time for real work

That is fine, even your mere presence already fixes mosst Windows related
problems ;-)

> > I guess the best option is to simply tell users on Windows to
> > close all applications *EVERY* time a .ARCH package is updated (ie
>
> It would be annoying to have a pop-up every time you update regardless
> of whether it's needed or not.

Hmm, but then we need some tricky way to find out which programs are running.

> I would say it should be enough to limit this to interactive apps only
> (dviout, ps_view, texworks).  These are the most likely to cause
> troubles like this.

I would say to the files under bin/win32/*, no?

If there is some perl code we can easily execute for that, one could
in principle:
- collect the files that would be updated in bin/win32/* from the
  list of updated/removed packages
- check all of them whether they are in use (that is the open problem)
- warn the user with a list if some of them are open

Best wishes

Norbert
KITMURVY (n.)
Man who owns all the latest sporting gadgetry and clothing (gold
trolley, tee cosies, ventilated shoes, Gary Player- autographed
tracksuit top, American navy cap, mirror sunglasses) but is still only
on his second gold lesson.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff