[tex-live] Feature requests tlmgr

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 16 10:33:27 CET 2010

On 2010-11-16 00:03, Karl Berry wrote:
>     1) Can the installer ask if a cron job will be installed
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, but I really don't want to try to have our
> program interact with cron.  That would be a huge (and hugely
> frustrating) effort, for, IMO, a very small return.  People who want to
> use cron (or "scheduler") to do things should do it themselves.  We are
> not an operating system.
>
> Best,
> karl

Thanks, also Norbert for your replies.

Is it possible to build one myself? Can I ask tlmgr if updates are
available without upgrading immediately?

I have tried:
  tlmgr check
but that resulted in:
  diff
/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/lfb/ligature.mf
/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/wnri/ligature.mf
  # ot1.cmap
diff /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/cmap/ot1.cmap
/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mmap/ot1.cmap
  # t1.cmap
diff /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/cmap/t1.cmap
/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mmap/t1.cmap
  tlmgr: exiting unsuccessfully (status 1).

This is probably checking how sane my installation is. Off topic, but
how can I fix this since I have only an out of the box installation...

Probably the best way would be:
  tlmgr update --dry-run --self
  tlmgr update --dry-run --all
or
  tlmgr update --list

For the latter command, only --list implies --list --all. Is it also
possible to run --list --self? It seems this is not supported because it
has the same output as --list --all. Should this be fixed?

Last question, is it possible to start tlmgr -gui and have it list only
the available updates?

Thanks,

Pander