[tex-live] texworks in TL 2010

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Nov 13 12:05:10 CET 2010

Axel E. Retif wrote:

>>> On testing, I see that this is an over-simplication :
>>> whilst %&PdfLaTeX is capable of re-mapping a default
>>> of PdfTeX to PdfLaTeX, there appears to be no analogous
>>> mechanism which can map it to (say) XeLaTeX.  This
>>> is a pity.
>>
>> IIRC, texworks supports its own magic comment to select engine and
>> format, I don't have texworks installed to look for it, but I guess it
>> is documented somewhere.
>
> Ha! I just tried it in Windows, and it uses TeXShop's syntax:
>
> % !TEX TS-program = xelatex
> % !TEX encoding = UTF-8
>
> TS-program stands for TeXShop program! You can see it like this: choose File ->  New from Template... and it will open a window with different templates; choose XeLaTeX documents ->  article-fontspec.tex and the typesetting format will change automatically to XeLaTeX!

Divergent evolution may lead to survival of the fittest,
but it is a real pain for those of us that have to live
through an evolutionary epoch.  "Why on earth didn't
TeXshop stick with the long-established %& pragmat",
he wondered ruefully ...

** Phil.