[tex-live] Update all installed failed

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Nov 13 12:01:49 CET 2010

Guten Morgen, Norbert --

Norbert Preining wrote:

>> I have now performed two consecutive "Update all installed".

> Why two? Was there something to be updated?

Because the first one appeared only to update TeX Live Infra.

>>> Installation of new version of kpathsea.win32 did fail, trying to unwind.
>
> Strange. But it seems unwinding was successful.

But was it ?  If so, why could PdfLaTeX not find F=file `l3fp.sty' ?

> crystal ball, please?

In the hexxing cupboard, along with the floo powder;
you may have to move the Quidditch sticks out of
the way to see it.

> Is your installation from ancient times?

I am 63; what do you expect ?  (Or "yes", in more direct speech).

>>> D:unpacking E:\TeX\Live\2010\temp\texlive-scripts.win32.tar in E:\TeX\Live\2010
>>> untar: untarring E:\TeX\Live\2010\temp\texlive-scripts.win32.tar failed (in E:\TeX\Live\2010)
>
> That is really strange.
>
> I can *ONLY* guess that something with the permissions below
> 	e:\texlive\2010
> on your computer is completely hosed.
>
> If the un-xzing *did* succeed (as we have seen) the un-tar *should* succeed
> because the tar file for sure is fine.
>
> And if the un-tarring failed then something *very* strange on your computer
> is going on.
>
> Did you play around with file/dir permissions, or whatever else?

A B S O L U T E L Y   N O T : and I am logged in as Administrator.

** Phil.