[tex-live] tlmgr and TEXINPUTS

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Nov 11 11:16:02 CET 2010

Hi,

On 11/11/2010 10:56 AM, Lars Madsen wrote:

> and what if the user want to name $HOME/texmf differently or place it on
> a different partition?
>
> Actually what I was refering to is much similar to Ulrikes, I think we
> used the miktex root feature for this particular user, who is now
> switched to TL and cannot access his own files.
>
> so if d:/foo/bar contains a TDS tree, the request is an interface of
> some sorts to add this to this persons installation.

I would find this useful as well.

The 'context minimals' distribution has support for something similar
to this, btw: it supports a variable called TEXMFPROJECT that normally
points to a non-existent folder, but that can be set to a specific TDS
tree whenever needed.

So, for example, processing the NTG's Maps journal is done in a shell
that starts with

     $ export TEXMFPROJECT=~/maps/texmf

I find this a very useful feature, because it allows per-project TDS
trees, with (possibly) different package versions from my 'normal'
setup.

I know this is not exactly the same as the feature request in
this thread (for one, TEXMFPROJECT requires actual user interaction,
which seems to be too complex a task for the users of the miktex-style
TDS option ;-)) but I wanted to mention it nonetheless.

Best wishes,
Taco