[tex-live] tlmgr and TEXINPUTS

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 9 15:46:01 CET 2010

On Nov 9, 2010, at 8:30 AM, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Di, 09 Nov 2010, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>> So then all the complains here boil down to the request:
>>> 	Please add a way to easily add another texmf tree to the
>>> 	search path.
>>> Right.
>>
>> Exactly. And did I got it right that TEXINPUTS is not the correct
>> variable for this? That Lars set you on the wrong track with its
>> initial question?
>
> Right. There is already a way (easy?):
>  tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFLOCAL '{/path/to/tree1;/path/to/tree2;...}'
>
> The disadvantage here is that you have to have ls-R files (ie call
> mktexlsr for all those trees) there.
>
> But I just tried it now and it worked without a glitch.
>
> So what is missing:
> - more direct command line access to that
> - a GUI
> - a way to specify trees without ls-R searching (??? necessary?)
>
> How is that handled in MikTeX?
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert

Howdy,

Could you substitute TEXMFHOME for TEXMFLOCAL above? Can that variable actually be a path or only a single directory.

In reality I think one shouldn't underestimate the ability of folks to learn a few things as long as you can make a short document that tells them something in a straight forward way; i.e., have a fixed TEXMFHOME and just tell them what directory structure they need to create.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)