[tex-live] tlmgr and TEXINPUTS

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Nov 9 15:44:13 CET 2010

Am Tue, 9 Nov 2010 23:30:44 +0900 schrieb Norbert Preining:

>>> So then all the complains here boil down to the request:
>>> 	Please add a way to easily add another texmf tree to the
>>> 	search path.
>>> Right.

>> Exactly. And did I got it right that TEXINPUTS is not the correct
>> variable for this? That Lars set you on the wrong track with its
>> initial question?

> Right. There is already a way (easy?):
>   tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFLOCAL '{/path/to/tree1;/path/to/tree2;...}'

;-) Well to quote my first answer to Lars: "At my opinion you are
looking for a way to add C:\mytexstuff (which should be a TDS) as a
new root to e.g. TEXMFLOCAL." For a non-TeXLive-user my guess wasn't
so bad.

> The disadvantage here is that you have to have ls-R files (ie call
> mktexlsr for all those trees) there.

> How is that handled in MikTeX?

When you add or remove a tree in miktex the FNDB's are regenerated.
In miktex every tree needs a FNDB. Also the FNDB's are not like in
texlive at the roots of the trees but alltogether in one tree.

I must say it would be an improvement if miktex would copy TeXLive
here and move the FNDB's to the trees they belong to, search (small
trees) without FNDB and allow to add a tree without having to
regenerate all FNDB's.

--
Ulrike Fischer