[tex-live] Behaviour of texdoc script

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun May 30 22:52:04 CEST 2010

On 30 May 2010 Peter Dyballa wrote:

 > Am 30.05.2010 um 16:55 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:
 >
 > >> At some time in TeX Live 2009 the texdoc script lost its ability
 > >> to start its search for documentation in the current working
 > >> directory. I therefore preferred TL '08 a lot, because texdoc
 > >> was set up in AUCTeX for my Emacsen as viewer for all *TeX
 > >> output.
 > >>
 > > I wasn't aware texdoc was used this way.
 >
 > Maybe it was only me who recommended in TeX or Emacs related lists the
 > use of texdoc since years... It's really very useful!

Peter, you are definitely not the only one (but probably the only one
using it *this way*).  I'm advertising texdoc too, though on the
texhax mailing list I often don't know whether people are using TeX
Live or MikTeX and whether mthelp and texdoc provide the same result.
Then I often have to provide links to the PDF files on CTAN though it
would be more sensible to point people to the doc browsers.

At BachoTeX 2010 there was a guy from Zurich who is using LaTeX only
casually.  I pointed him to texdoc and he was quite excited.  He
played the whole evening with this tool.

BTW, this guy held an amazingly interesting talk.  Have you ever seen
aligned paragraphs with proper hyphenation in HTML files?  He ported
TeX's (Franklin Liang's) hyphenation algorithm to JavaScript.  Yes,
your web browser is using the same hyphenation patterns then as TeX,
and of course, the script evaluates the HTML language tags properly.

When I was back home I installed the impressive example he presented
at the conference on my server:

  http://ms25.ath.cx

The button at the top allows you to switch hyphenation on and off.  If
it doesn't work, JavaScript is disabled in your web browser.

See also:

  http://code.google.com/p/hyphenator

I mentioned this here, though it's a bit off-topic, because we are
talking about advertising already... :)

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25