[tex-live] fontspec for LuaTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 10:14:01 CEST 2010

Dear all,

Now that luaotfload and fontspec have been uploaded to CTAN, the next test release of TeX Live / MacTeX 2010 will contain support for using system fonts in LuaTeX. (Apologies to those who get this email twice.)

Previous users of fontspec will be familiar with the process, but there are some changes in fontspec for LuaTeX compared to its XeTeX counterpart. I've written about the biggest changes here: <http://latex-alive.tumblr.com/post/643148677/fontspec-for-luatex>

To date, there has been very little testing of the new version of fontspec, especially with OpenType font loading in LuaTeX. Any testing you could perform would be greatly appreciated, especially running the mkluatexfontdb script in the luaotfload package and then attempting to access system fonts in LuaLaTeX with fontspec.

(E.g., \usepackage{fontspec}...\setmainfont{Georgia} )

Note however that Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) contains a bug with its .ttc fonts, so none of these types of fonts can be loaded through LuaTeX. (E.g., system-distributed Cochin, Hoefler Text, Optima, etc.) This is a shame but there's nothing we can do about it.

Any recompilation of any old XeLaTeX documents that use fontspec would also be invaluable to me in knowing if I've accidentally broken anything in my recent updates.

Many thanks,
-- Will