[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue May 25 17:53:18 CEST 2010

Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> tahnks for the nice feed back.
>
> On Di, 25 Mai 2010, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> * it would be really nice if the tl installer could be made to run
>>   an initial
>> 	luatools --generate
>>   in post-install because otherwise the 'context' command does
>>   not work out of the box.
>
> What about adding something to the context packages post action, so
> that luatools --generate is called whenever context is updated/installed?

Sounds good, but I have no idea how to do that.

>> * fmtutil does not want to generate the context mkii formats, even
>>   though they are defined in fmtutil.cfg. Maybe this is because there
>>   are two entries with the same name?
>
> Is that new? WHat do you mean with "does not want to"?
> 	fmtutil-sys --all
> should create all formats.

Except that it didn't. But then it dawned on me that this was
because there was no cont-en.ini file. Meanwhile I've added
suitable files to the repository.

>> * it would be even nicer if fmtutil could be made to support mkiv
>>   formats as well. The creation command is:
>>
>>   context --make [en|nl|fr|ro|de|it]
>>
>>   [|] == alternate choices
>>
>>   even just 'en' would be really nice to have.
>
> But it doe snot fit into the way fmtutil is calling the engines, right?

Right. Using a horrible trick with os.execute I can get it to actually
build the format, but fmtutil keeps believing the generation failed.

>> * because $TEXMFCACHE is not set in texmf.cnf, the context luatex-cache
>>   folder ends up in my $TMP directory (but that's ok, it works)
>
> Any other suggestion?

> Have in mind that we are dealing with multi user installations, where
> should the output of luatools --generate go to? Into a per user setting?

I would be fine with $TEXMFCACHE=$TEXMFHOME, sure.

> BTW; this is one of the open problems I posed I don't know years (well,
> more or less ;-) ago, how to deal with multi user systems. Unfortunately
> Hans was ignoring that completely as he is single user single windows
> running, but it *is* a problem.
>
> As long as the lua cache cannot be split into:
> - system cache for the system files (texmf-*)
> - user cache for ~/texmf or whatever
> this is unfortunately a pain.

True and much like last year, this is unlikely to get fixed by Hans.

>> * perhaps the pxfonts and txfonts packages can be added into
>>   scheme-context. context uses these for math in the default 'palatino'
>>   and 'times' typescripts.
>
> If you want so please add them there, or tell me and I do it, no problem.

I don't know how ;)

Best wishes,
Taco