[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue May 25 15:16:56 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> I've updated http://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html with information for
> the 2010 pretest.  It is basically the same story as last year --
> download/install from a special repository.  A few platforms have not
> yet been updated: i386-netbsd, mips-irix, powerpc-aix, sparc-solaris;
> they should be coming over the next week or so.  All the rest will be in
> as of tonight's build, if I don't mess it up.
>
> The documentation has not yet been touched since 2009.  The usual brief
> summary of changes is on the pretest page.  Corrections/additions welcome.
>
> Give it a try if you're willing.

pretest installs "worked" (e.g., a set of simple compiles worked using
multiple engines) for me on a couple linux systems:

1) 2 Ubuntu 10.4 amd64 boxes, scheme-medium
2) Ubuntu 9.10 i386, scheme-medium

Notes:

On both Ubuntu 10.4 installs (home+work) the network connection glitched
just after hyperref was installed, but the installer recovered gracefully.
I used a different mirror for the Ubuntu 9.10 install.

The suggestion to add <tlpath>/texmf/doc/man to the MANPATH may
cause problems for systems that use manpath(1) to generate a run-time
MANPATH.   For such systems, I prefer to create a symbolic link in
<tlpath>/bin to ../texmf/doc/man.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia