[tex-live] Fwd: include directories to search for additonal files like *.bib *.sty, etc.

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Mon May 10 04:30:15 CEST 2010

Sorry I forgot mailing list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com>
Date: 2010/5/8
Subject: Re: [tex-live] include directories to search for additonal
files like *.bib *.sty, etc.
To: Thomas Jung <thomas.jung at public-files.de>

Hi.

2010/5/8 Thomas Jung <thomas.jung at public-files.de>:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to pass some addittional paths to latex, pdflatex, xetex
> or bibtex. For this purpose I can use in MiKTeX a commandline option
> "--include-directory=dir", e.g.:
>
> bibtex -include-directory=sty -include-directory=bib document.tex
> or
> latex -include-directory=sty -include-directory=bib document.tex
>
> and the subdirectories "sty" and "bib" of the active path, where my
> "document.tex" resides and where I call latex, pdflatex, xetex, bibtex, etc.
> will be added to search for additional files like *.bib files or for my own
> *.sty files
>
> How can I achieve that within texlive? Btw: TL 2009, windows(7)

First of all this is wrong mailing list for your question. texhax is
more suitable one.

The advice strongly depends on context.

There are two different scenarios.

1. You have your own style and bibliography files and you use them
frequently in many (independent) documents.
Put them into $TEXMFHOME so after that you could use them in any document.

Suppose you have 'mystyle.sty' style file and 'mybiblio.bib'
bibliography file. Put them into
$TEXMFHOME/tex/latex/myNAME
and
$TEXMFHOME/bibtex/bib/myNAME
respectively, regenerate filename database and use in your documents
\usepackage{mystyle}
\bibliography{mybiblio}
Processing a document will be simple
latex myDOCUMENT
bibtex myDOCUMENT

2. You work on document with its own style file and own bibliography
file (only this document needs them).
To organize your work you make on top level directories
sty/
bib/
and put any style files and bibliography files there.

I advise you to call files with they relative paths so there wouldn't
question about options. But if you choose another way... you have to
set up variables TEXINPUTS and BIBINPUTS.

I recommend you to write a batch wrappers that will set these
variables locally and call latex or bibtex.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov