[tex-live] kpse search path

Elie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sun May 9 09:31:40 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have two versions of a file, one for LuaTeX and one for the other
engines. My plan was to put the file for LuaTeX in texmf/tex/luatex and
the other in texmf/tex/generic, so that the LuaTeX file would be found
by luatex only, and would also be found first by luatex instead of the
other file. The problem is that this doesn't seem to work at all:

eroux at norgz-laptop:~$ kpsewhich -all hyphen.cfg
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/lambda/antomega/hyphen.cfg
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/luatex/hyph-utf8/hyphen.cfg

eroux at norgz-laptop:~$ kpsewhich -engine luatex -all hyphen.cfg
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/lambda/antomega/hyphen.cfg
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/luatex/hyph-utf8/hyphen.cfg

eroux at norgz-laptop:~$ kpsewhich -engine luatex -all etex.src
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/luatex/hyph-utf8/etex.src
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/plain/etex/etex.src

eroux at norgz-laptop:~$ kpsewhich -all etex.src
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/luatex/hyph-utf8/etex.src
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/plain/etex/etex.src

You can see that the hyphen.cfg in generic/ is found first whatever the
engine, and that etex.src in luatex/ is found first whatever the
engine... Did I do something wrong with the options of kpse? I have a
Debian TeXLive 2009, does this happen also on other TeXLive?

If these are bugs, I think they will need to be fixed in TeXLive 2010,
as the situation I describe will really appear.

Thank you,
--
Elie