[tex-live] preview.sty / tlmgr vs AucTeX

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Mar 9 18:32:10 CET 2010

"George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:18 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>> "George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I think the key point here is that AucTeX source installer (e.g.,
>>> configure) should assume preview.sty may have been installed by the
>>> TeX distro or some package manager.
>>
>> I think the key point here is that if you have nontrivial
>> configurations, you should read the installation instructions.
>
> Or you should install using the defaults and then look for
> problems,

That's not a good idea since by then you may have clobbered parts of
your system.  I actually never do that.  Even if I try out things
blindly, the very least is to

make -n install

before doing anything more permanent.

> as the OP appears to have done.  Since you have to test in any case,
> this is a useful approach because it examines what most users will do.

And it will work even in this case.  And if preexisting stuff sits in
competing paths, the configure run will give out warnings at the end if
I am not mistaken.

If you don't follow instructions, don't look at what the installation
does, and don't heed warnings, yes, you might get yourself into trouble.

Blaming AUCTeX for that is a bit cheap.

--
David Kastrup