[tex-live] SyncTeX should always write absolute paths

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Mar 8 01:48:45 CET 2010

Hi Philipp,

Having now read the comments and reread our previous thread ...

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2872347&group_id=58056&atid=486369
http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2009-October/022844.html

.. I see no practical or desirable way to fix this in TeX Live somehow
"independently" of SyncTeX.  What's in the .synctex file is clearly part
of SyncTeX.  Jerome is the one who maintains the SyncTeX-related code in
TeX Live.  I'm not going to tamper with it.

Also: I find it very troublesome to make all paths absolute.  That just
seems fundamentally wrong to me.

However, it certainly seems right to me for the synctex file to include
the input directory to which the relative paths are relative, since I
don't see any other way for viewers to find the directory.  As "hofman"
on that thread suggested.

I'll post a note on that thread too.

karl